Praise be to Allaah, the Lord of the Worlds, and peace and blessings be upon the Trustworthy Prophet Muhammad and upon all his family and companions.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Fruggle Fulani


I think I came out the womb fruggle. Don't get confused, I am not mizerly, audhu billah. But since, I was a little girl, I have had a facinating talent for saving money, masha'Allah. I loved the Saturday paper, THE COUPON SECTION. I would use a ruler and tear out coupons and sort them by isle into an evelope. Once we hit the store, I would make a break for it and get items on the list and those with coupons. I remember one time saving my mom nearly $40 at the register.

Now as a wife, mom and muslimah this talent really comes in handy. I hardly clip coupons, because we no longer get the newspaper, but my new thing is "10 4 10" sales. Or, everything is a dollar. This is my way of bulk shopping. I will go early in the morning (sans binats) and fill up m cart with, cans of tuna, frozen veggies (watchout for selected varieties), apple sauce, yogurt and canned veggies.

My other fruggal discovery: Asian Markets. Because this area is swamped with Koreans and Latinos, these markets are everywhere. But they sale, the cheapest produce and fish. Basically, once inside you have left the US. Asian pop-music streams through the air. The smell of fish saturates your nostrals. You here more languages going at one time then ever thought possible. Plus all rules of courtesy have demished and you have to be on surival mode. The seafood is self serve. Tanks of eels, boxes with live crabs and dead fish line the floors. All kinds of products written various asian languages - and you have no idea what is inside. One time, I saw a women put a whole dried fish on the conveyer belt, wrapped in only clear celafaine. But, you can't beat the deals and varieties.

My last discovery: the lantino isle in the regular supermarkets. There are fantastic cans of beans, pasta that is 4 bags for a dollar and value-pack rice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home