Praise be to Allaah, the Lord of the Worlds, and peace and blessings be upon the Trustworthy Prophet Muhammad and upon all his family and companions.

Friday, December 01, 2006

Habari Za Potea?

Feeling lost, totally alone, misunderstood and needing interpretation were the impetus for my blog explorations. First, I started searching, for what, I guess someone who could relate. I started with Lamu, then swahili, kiswahili, mombasa, mswahili . . . not much, at least nothing like me. I was trying to find a practicing swahili women living in the states. Why? I spent two years of my life speaking (or at least trying) kiswa, eating chapati and pilau, cooking with women, washing my clothes with omo (hanging undies in descrete places), attending weddings (practicing my chakacha in the mirror), wearing totally outdated brightly colored clothes with beads and ruffles, walking around with kangas, grinding coconuts making milk, drinking chai (not chai tea), avoiding malaria, getting malaria, riding in matatus, dodging donkeys and now all of this seems rather mythical. I have tried tirelessly to find swahili women from Lamu, Mombasa or Ingujah to visit with practice some kiswa sitting on the floor with the edge of one foot wedged between the big toe and the next of the other foot, picking our teeth with a broken piece of Makuti after a wonderful lunch of Sakuma wiki, pilau na buzi and mandazi. Were are you Fatma's, Asha's, Mwanamina's and Mariamu -ay's? All that I have met over here have trading in their bui bui's for tight pants, music videos and around-the-way-girl vernaculars. Naa meeen? Actually, I don't. Sometimes, I want a little piece of Kenya, siyo?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Asalamu alaykum,

I love pilau and I know what you mean but I love my Kenyan sisters especially the Kenyan Somalis.

4:30 PM

 
Blogger Khala Aishah said...

Hey, hook me up! I do meet somalis, but not too many Kenyan, Kenyan sisters. The somalis sisters are bit shy when talking about kenya, because of the refugee roots. I need a pilau fix. I am close by.

7:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot about this thread.

No way if you're close by you must have met the Kenyan Somali crew at Dar us Salaam and PGMA? We have great times during Ramadan especially during suhur in the last ten nights. Maybe it's an age thing but I haven't seen too many shy away from talking about Kenya.

So when are you going to make me some pilau? :) You have my email, no?

1:19 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home